Ham Sandwich with Greens and Eggs
A tribute to Dr. Suess' storybook, Green Eggs and Ham. Slices of Black Forest ham, red onion are layered with a fried egg, mixed baby greens and basil pesto on sourdough or whole wheat bread. Recipe by Chef Michael Symon.
2 thin slices Black Forest ham, fully cooked
2 slices red onion, paper thin slices
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 large eggs
1 to 2 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces total)
2 (1/2-thick) slices sourdough bread, or whole wheat bread (about 4 to 5-inches in diameter)
1/3 cup mixed baby greens
2 tablespoons basil pesto
- Soak onion in a small bowl of ice water for 2 minutes.
- While onion is soaking, cook ham in a large nonstick skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until edges begin to curl and become crispy. Transfer ham to a plate.
- In the same skillet or pan, heat oil over medium heat. Break eggs into skillet. Slightly break yolks with the tip of a sharp knife. Cover and cook about 3 minutes or just until whites are set and yolks are cooked, turning over halfway during cooking. Transfer eggs with ham on plate; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, drain onions and layer ham, mozzarella and onion slices on 1 slice of bread. Top with second slice of bread. Press down on sandwich with palm of your hand.
- Place in skillet and cook, covered, for 30 to 60 seconds on each side or until toasted.
- Transfer sandwich to cutting board, and open sandwich. Layer greens and eggs on top; spread with pesto. Close sandwich and cut in half to serve.
Makes 1 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 recipe): Calories: 690 calories; Protein: 41 grams; Fat: 38 grams; Sodium: 1520 milligrams; Cholesterol: 480 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 12 grams; Carbohydrates: 48 grams; Fiber: 5 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.