Hearty Taco Slices
Here's fun recipe the whole family will enjoy that young chefs can make—or help make. This makes super party food for the Big Game, too.
1 cup refried beans
1 cup prepared chunky salsa - divided use
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese - divided use
1/4 cup sliced black olives, drained
1 loaf (16 to 18 inches) Italian bread, unsliced
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
8 pitted whole black olives
- In a medium bowl, combine refried beans, 1/4 cup salsa, 1/2 cup cheese and olives; set aside.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally; remove soft insides leaving a 1 inch thick shell. Spread bean mixture over bottom half of loaf; set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in chili powder; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining salsa; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread beef mixture over beans; cover with remaining cheese and top of loaf. Wrap loaf in foil, then place on baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes or until heated through. Unwrap loaf; lift top and sprinkle filling with lettuce.
- Using decorative toothpicks, spear whole olives; insert each toothpick through loaf at evenly spaced intervals. Cut into 8 slices; serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.