Italian Monte Cristo Sandwiches
A savory Italian version of the classic Monte Cristo sandwich, stuffed with mozzarella cheese and tomatoes, served with marinara sauce.
8 slices whole wheat bread - divided use
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
1 tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine - divided use
Marinara sauce, warmed for dipping
- On each of 4 bread slices, place 1 cheese slice and 2 tomato slices; top with remaining bread slices. On a sheet of wax paper combine together cornmeal, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs and milk.
- In a large nonstick griddle or skillet melt a tablespoon butter.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture; coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Transfer 2 sandwiches to griddle. Cook sandwiches for 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Repeat using remaining butter and sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half; serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping.
Makes 4 servings.