Lean Meatball Subs
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 egg whites or 1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups heart healthy or regular pasta sauce
4 crusty Italian bread rolls (5 to 6-inches each), split
4 tablespoons giardiniera*, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg whites, water, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 2-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs on rack in broiler pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven 18 to 20 minutes.
- Heat pasta sauce according to package directions in medium saucepan. Add hot cooked meatballs to pasta sauce; stir to coat evenly.
- Divide meatballs and sauce evenly among rolls. Top evenly with giardinera.
Makes 4 servings.
*Giardiniera is a mixture of vegetables, traditionally peppers, carrots, celery and onions, pickled in a white or red vinegar and oil mixture. It is sold in mild or hot varieties.
Tip: For easy clean up, line broiler pan (not rack) with aluminum foil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 437; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 65mg; Total Carbs: 51g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 34g; Sodium: 1045mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.