Louisville Hot Brown
A Louisville original and one of the tastiest things to come out of Kentucky!
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk, warmed
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
8 slices trimmed white bread toast
Slices of cooked chicken or turkey breast
Crisp-fried bacon, crumbled
Mushroom slices, sautéed or tomato slices
- In a small saucepan cook the onion in the butter over medium-low heat, until softened, stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly pour in warmed milk, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce, stirring constantly, until thickened to desired consistency.
- Remove saucepan from heat, add the cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Put one slice of toast in each of four oven-proof individual serving dishes. Top each piece of toast with slices of chicken or turkey.
- Cut remaining toast slices diagonally and place on sides of sandwiches.
- Ladle cheese sauce over sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches under preheated broiler until sauce begins to bubble.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and sautéed mushrooms slices or tomato slices and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.