Malbec Burgers with Creole Mustard Tomato Jam
Try TV personality Adam Richman's terrific burger recipe for your next game day crowd.
1/2 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground beef (85 percent lean)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup roasted tomatoes, finely chopped (approximately three to four plum tomatoes roasted with a drizzle of olive oil until soft)
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup roasted garlic, finely chopped (approximately a head of garlic roasted with a drizzle of olive oil until soft, then squeezed out of skin)
3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
3 tablespoons roasted red peppers, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fire-roasted poblano chiles (packed in olive oil), finely chopped
1 large egg
1/2 cup Alamos Malbec*
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5 Kaiser rolls for entrée size burgers or 10 small potato rolls for sliders, split, toasted and lightly buttered
Watercress and sliced tomato for topping burgers
Creole Mustard Tomato Jam:
1/3 cup Alamos Red Blend*
1/3 cup crushed grape tomatoes
2 1/2 tablespoons blackberry or raspberry jam (with seeds)
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 cup stone ground or Creole mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Burgers: In a large bowl, mix all burger ingredients, except rolls and olive oil, using your hands until evenly incorporated. Make into five large (entrée size) or 10 small (slider size) patties and set aside.
- Over high heat, heat an oven safe pan until drops of water skitter across its surface. Pour in enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan by 1/4 inch. Heat oil for 30 seconds. Place patties in pan, working in batches if necessary. Cook patties until browned on bottom and then flip and brown the other side. Remove burgers to baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Repeat until all burgers are browned.
- Place burgers in preheated oven for roughly 5 to 7 minutes for medium doneness. Place on grilled buns and top with watercress, sliced plum tomato and Creole Mustard Tomato Jam. Serve hot.
- For Creole Mustard Tomato Jam: Cook down all ingredients except mustard in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until thick and relatively uniform in consistency. Mash all bits of tomato into sauce. Remove from heat and place in a nonreactive bowl to cool. When just above room temperature, stir in mustard.
Makes 4 servings.
*Argentinean Table Wine ©2014 Alamos USA, Hayward, CA. All rights reserved.
Recipe and photograph provided by Alamos Wines via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.