Marinated Chicken-Vegetable Sandwich
For convenience and easy clean-up, marinate vegetable mixture and chicken in separate self-sealing plastic bags.
1 medium cucumber
3/4 cup Italian dressing - divided use
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 small purple onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (16-ounce) package French bread loaves
8 fontina cheese slices
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- Cut cucumber in half; remove seeds, and cut into slices. Toss together cucumber, 1/2 cup dressing, and next 5 ingredients. Chill 4 hours.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup dressing and chicken; chill 4 hours.
- Drain vegetables, reserving marinade.
- Cut each bread loaf crosswise in half; split and brush cut sides with reserved marinade. Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 10 minutes.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°F / 175° to 205°C) 7 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Cool.
- Arrange chicken on bottom bread halves; top with cheese, vegetable mixture, sprouts, and top bread halves. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
Makes 4 sandwiches.