Meatball Hero Sandwiches
A classic Italian deli specialty, savory tender meatballs tucked inside toasted Italian rolls and smothered in marinara sauce.
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
6 (6-inch long) Italian or French rolls, split lengthwise, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease heavy large baking sheet.
- Combine ground beef, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt in large bowl and blend thoroughly. Using moistened hands, shape meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch rounds and place on prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Bake meatballs until just firm to touch and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Bring marinara sauce to simmer in heavy large saucepan. Add meatballs to sauce and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Gently press center of bottoms of rolls to compact slightly. Spoon 5 or 6 meatballs into depression in each roll. Spoon enough sauce over to coat. Place tops of rolls on and serve.
Make 6 servings.