Mediterranean Chicken Hero
This recipe for Mediterranean Chicken Hero was submitted by Aleta Van Kampen.
4 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
3 tablespoons light olive oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 loaf (4x18-inches) unsliced French bread
1/4 cup softened reduced calorie margarine
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small green pepper, sliced thin
1 small sweet red pepper, sliced thin
1 small yellow pepper, sliced thin
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 large shallot, sliced thin
Yogurt Sauce (recipe follows)
3 tablespoons sliced almonds for garnish
- Place chicken between 2 pieces of wax paper and gently pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In small bowl, mix olive oil and soy sauce. Add chicken, turning to coat.
- Place chicken on broiler pan; sprinkle with basil, marjoram and rosemary.
- Set oven temperature at Broil and place rack so chicken is about 6 inches from heat.
- Broil chicken about 12 minutes or until chicken is light brown and fork can be inserted with ease. Remove chicken from oven; set aside and keep warm.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Hollow bottom half of loaf, leaving at least 1/2-inch crust.
- In small dish, mix margarine and garlic; spread on inside of bread. Place on broiler pan and broil until brown; remove from oven.
- Arrange chicken, green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, olives and shallots on bread. Spoon 1/2 of Yogurt Sauce over all. Garnish with sliced almonds. Cut in 6 parts. Serve remaining Yogurt Sauce in separate bowl.
Makes 6 servings.
Yogurt Sauce: In medium bowl, mix together 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 2 tablespoons country Dijon mustard and 4 teaspoons honey.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.