Calzones, a pizza pie "turnover", come in miniature versions in this recipe, making for a quick and delicious meal or snack any time of day. They also make wonderful leftovers! Recipe developed by Alison Lewis.
8 ounces lean ground beef
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
4 teaspoons canola oil - divided use
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
14 ounce prepared pizza dough
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce, warmed
- In large non-stick skillet, brown beef over medium heat until beef crumbles; drain and set aside. In separate large skillet, sauté onion, mushrooms and garlic in 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in Italian seasoning and pepper. Add to ground beef and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each dough piece into 3-inch diameter. Spoon beef mixture equally over half of each piece, leaving 1/2-inch border. Top equally with cheese.
- Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edges over top edges and crimp dough with fingers to form rim. Prick tops of calzones with fork to allow steam to escape. Place on large baking sheet lightly greased and floured. Brush each calzone with canola oil, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: You can make these one day ahead of time and heat before serving the next day. Lightly brush calzones with canola oil before placing in the oven for a nice golden color and crisp texture. These calzones will keep in the refrigerator as leftovers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; 1 mini calzone): Calories: 210 ; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 450mg; Carbohydrates: 27g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 12g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.