Monte Cristo Sandwich
Yogurt is the secret ingredient in the egg mixture of this version of the classic ham and cheese French toast-style sandwich.
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon butter, melted
8 slices, firm white bread
4 slices ham
4 slices Wisconsin Swiss Cheese
4 slices Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup butter - divided use
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a shallow dish combine eggs, yogurt and salt.
- Brush butter on one side of all eight pieces of bread.
- Place one slice of ham, Swiss and cheddar cheeses on the buttered side of 4 slices of bread.
- Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides facing inward.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Holding sides of sandwiches, carefully dip in egg mixture and place in heated skillet. Cook until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add additional butter as necessary.
- Dust with powdered sugar; serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.