Aromatic spices flavor these ground lamb or chicken roll-ups, made with pita bread, filled with pepato cheese (a hard cheese similar to asiago with crushed black peppercorns), feta, ripe olives and tomatoes served with a minty cucumber yogurt sauce.
1 pound boneless leg of lamb or chicken, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup minced sweet onions
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 pita bread rounds
1 cup coarsely grated pepato or Asiago cheese
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon chopped mint
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- For the Roll-Ups: Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine the meat, onions, spices, and salt. Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the meat mixture and cook over medium-high heat about 10 minutes (5 to 8 minutes for chicken) until cooked through.
- To Assemble: Split each pita at the edges to yield two rounds. Place them with the insides facing up on the counter-top. Sprinkle the rounds with the cheese, olives, and tomatoes. Spoon a strip of sautéed lamb across each round. Roll the pita round tightly around the filling and place seam side down in a baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy. While the roll-ups are baking, prepare the yogurt sauce.
- For Yogurt Sauce: Mix the yogurt, mint, and cucumber in a small bowl until blended. Serve with the roll-ups.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.