Mustard 'N Beer Brats
A simple, beer-spiked mustard sauce makes a winner of these grilled brats.
6 fully-cooked bratwurst sausages
1/2 cup beer
4 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
3 to 4 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
6 hoagie or hot dog buns, split
Butter or margarine, softened
Condiments: Pickle relish, chopped onion, mustard, ketchup (optional)
- Heat gas grill on medium or charcoal grill until coals are ash white.
- Prepare fully-cooked brats by cutting four 1/4-inch deep slits across each bratwurst.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the beer, brown sugar and mustard. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Add the bratwurst, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove bratwurst from the beer-mustard sauce, reserving the sauce.
- Place bratwurst on preheated grill and brush generously with reserved beer-mustard sauce. Grill, turning once, and again brushing with beer mixture, until bratwurst are nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread cut-sides of the hoagie or hot dog buns with butter and grill until buns are lightly toasted.
- Serve brats with pickle relish, chopped onion, mustard and ketchup, as desired.
Makes 6 sandwiches.