Onion Veggie Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of the National Onion Association.
2 (3-ounce) packages fat-free cream cheese
18 slices multigrain bread
1 large red onion (about 12 ounces), thinly sliced
1 cup sliced cucumbers, marinated in French dressing
12 crisp lettuce leaves
12 tomato slices
6 ounces thinly sliced cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups alfalfa sprouts (optional)
- Spread cream cheese evenly over 6 slices of bread.
- Top with half of the onion slices and all the cucumbers.
- Stack with lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and a second slice of bread.
- Lay cheddar over second bread slice, then add sprouts and remaining onions.
- Top with third slice of bread. Cut sandwiches in half and secure with picks.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 475; Total Fat: 20g; Cholesterol: 46mg; Total Carbs: 59g; Fiber: 11g; Protein: 22g; Sodium: 843mg; Potassium: 1229mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Onion Association.