Layered with Baby Swiss, Eggplant and Peppers
Mediterranean-style open-faced eggplant and roasted red pepper sandwich with baby Swiss and Monterey Jack cheese.
8 slices eggplant, 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and ground black pepper
4 slices Italian bread
1 clove garlic, cut in half
6 ounces thinly sliced Wisconsin Baby Swiss cheese
Fresh basil leaves
3/4 cup roasted red peppers (about 2 medium)
6 ounces thinly sliced Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- Coat eggplant slices with flour. Cook eggplant in 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes on each side, adding more oil as necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with oil; rub with cut side of garlic clove.
- Place directly on rack of oven; bake at 450°F (230°C) for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- On each bread slice, layer Swiss cheese, eggplant, basil, peppers and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place on baking sheet; bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with additional basil.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.