Pacific Rim Chicken Burgers with Ginger Mayonnaise
Created by Kristine Snyder from Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, this recipe was the winner of the 45th National Chicken Cooking Contest in 2003.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
2/3 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Asian hot chili sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup bottled teriyaki sauce
4 teaspoons honey
4 sesame buns, split and toasted
4 leaves red lettuce
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- For Ginger Mayonnaise: In small bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- In large bowl, mix together chicken, panko, egg, onions, cilantro, garlic, chili sauce and salt. With oiled hands, form into 4 patties.
- In small bowl, mix together teriyaki glaze and honey.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, place oil. Add chicken and cook, turning and brushing with teriyaki glaze, about 10 minutes or until done.
- Place burgers on toasted buns and top with lettuce, cucumber and Ginger Mayonnaise. Garnish with additional cilantro and cucumber slices.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.