Pepper Jack-Stuffed Burgers
Pepper Jack cheese packs a wallop of flavor in these Southwestern-style stuffed-burgers.
2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup onion, minced
8 ounces Wisconsin Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded*
6 tablespoons tomato salsa
6 hamburger buns
Pam® For Grilling Spray
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, salt, pepper and onion, mix thoroughly. Shape into 12, 1/4-inch thick patties.
- Reserve 1/3 cup shredded Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese. Top six patties with remaining cheese. Place remaining patties over cheese-topped patties and firmly press edges together.
- Spray grate of outdoor grill and utensils with PAM® For Grilling Spray. Preheat grill to medium.
- Place burgers on grill and cook, covered, 7 to 8 minutes to medium (160°F / 70°C) doneness, until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color; turning occasionally.
- During last 2 minutes of cooking, spoon 1 tablespoon of salsa on each burger and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
*For a flavor twist, substitute Wisconsin Feta Cheese and Kalamata olives.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.