Pork and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
There's a double-onion whammy in these savory appetizer sandwiches. The pork tenderloin is roasted in a crust of onions, and the sandwiches are laced with a sweet-and-savory onion jam. Sandwiches may also be served in entrée portions on regular-sized buns.
2 large onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco pepper sauce - divided use
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 whole pork tenderloins, about one pound each
1 1/2 tablespoon dry white wine
1 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
24 cocktail buns
5 Spanish onions
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup white wine
- For Pork Sandwiches: Place onion slices, 1 tablespoon olive oil, rosemary, 1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce, garlic, salt and cloves in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Mix well. Place tenderloins in dish and coat with onion mixture. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove pork from onions and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and marinade and cook, stirring 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 12 to 15 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown and very tender (add 1 tablespoon of water if skillet gets too dry). Add 1 1/2 tablespoons wine and simmer until evaporated. Remove from heat. Add bread crumbs and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce to onions and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet. Add tenderloins and brown about 4 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with vegetable nonstick spray.
- Transfer pork to dish and press the cooked onion mixture firmly on top and sides of browned tenderloins. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 155°F (approximately 65°C). Remove from oven , let pork stand 10 minutes; slice and serve on buns with Caramelized Onions.
- For Caramelized Onions: Peel and slice 5 Spanish onions, sauté in 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, add sugar, stir, deglaze skillet with 1 cup wine and reduce this mixture until dry.
Makes 24 appetizer servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories 190 calories Protein 13 grams Fat 6 grams Sodium 130 milligrams Cholesterol 35 milligrams Saturated Fat 1 grams Carbohydrates 18 grams
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.