Pork Burgers on Sandwich Buns with Variations
Is your family fighting the burger boredom? Use ground pork instead. Have all your favorite condiments out to build your own burger. Or try some suggested toppers for burgers with a flair. Serve with potato chips, fresh fruit salad and ice cold tea.
1 pound lean ground pork
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 large soft sandwich buns
- Divide pork into four portions and shape into patties about 3/4-inch thick, handling meat as little as possible. Sprinkle both sides of patties with salt and pepper.
- Grill over direct heat over medium-hot fire 5 minutes per side, turning once.
- Serve immediately on buns with your favorite burger condiments.
Makes 4 servings.
- Santa Fe Burger -- Fresh guacamole, spicy salsa and chile peppers. Serve open-faced on corn bread.
- Georgia Burger -- Fresh peach slices and crispy strips of bacon. Serve on a honey-wheat roll.
- Pacific Burger -- Sunflower seeds, grilled pineapple slice and honey Dijon mustard. Serve on sourdough bread.
- Caribbean Burger -- Mango slices, hot pepper sauce, slices of red onion and chopped fresh cilantro. Serve on grilled burger bun brushed with olive oil.
- Mediterranean Burger -- A mixture of plain yogurt, chopped fresh dill and chopped cucumber. Serve in a pita bread pocket.
- Italian Burger -- A dab of pesto and a mix of shredded mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano and provolone cheeses. Serve on focaccia.
- Thai Burger -- A peanut sauce mixture made from peanut butter, hot pepper oil and a dash of soy sauce. Serve on grilled burger bun brushed with hot pepper infused oil.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.