Pork En Fuego
Recipe by Food Network celebrity chef, Guy Fieri.
En Fuego Spice Blend:
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, or granulated garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
3/4 teaspoon cayenne
3 strips bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 8 cloves)
1/3 cup Cabo Wabo tequila, or favorite reposado tequila
3/4 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
3/4 cup Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup jarred hot cherry peppers, chopped
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch thick pieces
1/4 cup En Fuego Spice Blend
4 ounces Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
4 ciabatta rolls, split
1 1/2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- For En Fuego Spice Blend: For spice blend: combine spices in shallow dish or pie plate; set aside.
- For Sauce: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon just until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate with paper towels and discard bacon drippings in skillet.
- In same skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Add onion. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until onion is tender and begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove skillet from heat. Slowly pour in tequila. Return to heat; cook and stir over low heat for about 30 seconds to remove bits from bottom of skillet. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and hot cherry peppers. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered,over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until most, but not all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, coat pork pieces with spice blend, pressing to adhere.
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high heat for direct grilling.
- Grill pork pieces, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71.1°C), turning pork over halfway during grilling. Transfer pork to clean cutting board; set aside.
- Split rolls and grill, uncovered about 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Turn off one burner on grill. Remove roll tops from grill. Turn roll bottoms over and move to area over unlit burner. Top the cut sides of the roll with cheese. Close lid and grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted; remove from grill.
- Cut pork pieces into strips. When sauce is reduced, add pork strips, crumbled bacon, basil and cilantro. Cover and simmer about 3 minutes Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- To Serve: Spoon pork mixture evenly on roll bottoms; top with green onions. Cover with roll tops to form sandwich.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 610; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 120mg; Total Carbs: 48g; Protein: 41g; Sodium: 980mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.