Portabella and Halloumi Burgers
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
4 portabella mushroom caps with stems removed
3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 thin slices halloumi
2 thick slices tomato
Sea salt and pepper
1 handful basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (about 450°).
- Wash mushroom caps and dry.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Place mushrooms gill side down in the mixture.
- When the grill is hot, grill the mushrooms on the gill side first for about 5 minutes or until they start to sweat. Flip and grill 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add halloumi to the grill and grill 2 minutes on each side over relatively high heat until grill marks form on the cheese and it becomes soft and pliable.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the tomato to taste.
- Assemble the "burger" with the mushroom as the bun, the halloumi cheese as the burger, the lightly salted tomato and fresh basil leaves. Wrap and serve hot.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): Calories: 260; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Total Carbs: 13g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 9g; Sodium: 75mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Mushroom Council.