Ranch Chicken Pitas
Ranch dressing mix coats the chicken strips and serves as a salad glaze for these hearty pita sandwiches.
8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
1/2 (1-ounce) envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 (6 to 7-inch) pita fold breads
4 cups torn Romaine lettuce
1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
4 onion slices, halved, separated
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Coat chicken pieces with 2 teaspoons salad dressing mix.
- Heat oil in 8 or 10-inch skillet; add chicken pieces. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (5 to 7 minutes). Cover; continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink (5 to 7 minutes). Uncover; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, wrap pita breads in aluminum foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, red bell pepper and onions in medium bowl.
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise and remaining salad dressing mix in small bowl. Stir in milk. Pour mixture over lettuce; toss lightly. Add chicken; toss gently to coat.
- Spoon chicken mixture into warm pitas. Fold in half; secure with wooden picks, if desired.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and cook chicken mixture up to 1 day ahead. Just before serving, place chicken mixture in microwave-safe bowl; cover with waxed paper. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power) until mixture is warmed (2 to 3 minutes). Heat pita breads as directed above. Continue assembling pitas as directed above.