Roasted Vegetable Focaccia
Mediterranean-style focaccia bread topped with roasted eggplant, zucchini, red bell pepper, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves.
6 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
2 cups baby eggplant cubes, cut 3/4-inch
2 cups zucchini cubes, cut 3/4 inch
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (8-ounce) balls Wisconsin Fresh Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- Brush 13x9x2-inch pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roll bread dough to 13x9 inch rectangle; place in prepared pan, pushing dough into corners. Allow to rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in shallow baking dish, toss vegetables, garlic and salt with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for 20 minutes or until just tender. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F (205°C).
- When dough has risen, brush surface with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake 15 minutes.
- Place half of cheese on dough; top with vegetable mixture and remaining cheese. Continue baking 20 minutes or until done. sprinkle with basil.
Makes 12 servings.
Variation: Roasted Vegetable Hoagie: Prepare vegetable mixture as directed. Slice four individual French bread rolls almost in half (leave hinge); brush cut side of each with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Broil until toasted. Fill rolls with cheese and vegetable mixture; wrap each with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.