Saucy Sausage Sandwiches
A Midwestern favorite, savory pork sausage patties served on buttered whole wheat toast with a sweet spread (such as cranberry sauce, applesauce, jam or jelly) and a slice of brick cheese.
1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 tablespoons water
6 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup whole cranberry sauce, applesauce, jam or jelly
6 (1-ounce) slices Wisconsin Brick cheese
- Divide and shape sausage into 6 patties.
- Place patties and water in a cold frying pan. Cover tightly and cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes. Remove cover and allow sausage patties to brown, turn once.
- While patties are cooking, toast and butter bread.
- Spread fruit sauce (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) evenly on each slice of buttered toast.
- Place sausage patties on top of fruit sauce. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Broil 3 to 5 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.