Scrambled Egg & Chicken Wraps
Scrambled eggs are the perfect way to extend leftover meats, such as chicken, and make a whole new meal—like these tasty sandwich wraps. Use whatever kind of tortilla you like best. If there's some in the fridge, use leftover cooked chicken or already cooked and chopped chicken pieces from the store, even the flavored kind, if that's what you like. Add any topping foods that are handy or that you have time to get ready - maybe sautéed onions or green peppers, avocado slices or guacamole, shredded lettuce or chopped parsley or cilantro.
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons milk
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 (10-inch) plain or flavored flour or whole-wheat tortillas
1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken
1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Salsa or taco sauce
Additional toppings, as desired
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Add the milk. Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper with a fork or whisk until the eggs and milk are blended. Set the bowl aside.
- Heat the tortillas according to the package directions. Cover the tortillas with a kitchen towel to keep them warm.
- Coat the pan evenly with the spray. Put the pan on a burner and heat it over medium heat for a little bit. Sprinkle a few drops of water into the pan. The pan is hot enough when the water sizzles and dances in the pan.
- Add the chicken and the chili powder, if you like. Cook and stir the chicken until the chicken is heated all the way through to the middle of each piece, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan over the chicken. The eggs will start to set. Hold the pancake turner upside down and gently pull it across the bottom and sides of the pan. Keep pulling the pancake turner through the eggs and chicken until the eggs are thick and you can't see any more liquid eggs in the pan. Don't stir all the time or the eggs will break into tiny pieces. When the eggs are thick and there is no more liquid egg in the pan, remove the pan from the burner.
- Spoon the eggs into a 1/3-cup measuring cup. When the measure is full, spoon the eggs into the center of each warm tortilla. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Spoon the salsa or taco or pizza sauce on top of the cheese. Add any other toppings you like. Roll up each tortilla.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board (AEB) and Egg Nutrition Center (ENC).