Serve-A-Crowd Beef Steaks
Seasoned round steaks are topped with sliced onions and chili sauce, wrapped in foil and slow-roasted until fork tender, sliced and served on crusty rolls or in flour tortillas with the cooked onions and assorted condiments.
3 pounds beef bottom or eye round steaks, cut 1 inch thick
2 medium onions, sliced, separated into rings
1 (12-ounce) bottle prepared chili sauce
8 to 10 crusty rolls, split or 16 to 20 medium flour tortillas, warmed
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
Suggested Toppings: Sliced lettuce, sliced avocado, chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Place 28x18-inch piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil in roasting pan. Combine seasoning ingredients; spread on beef steaks. Place steaks in center of foil; top with onions and chili sauce. Bring shorter ends of foil together above steaks; fold down to seal. Fold in sides of foil to seal.
- Bake in oven 1 3/4 hours or until steaks are fork-tender. Carefully open foil. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Transfer onions and cooking liquid to medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Carve steaks; top with onion mixture. Serve with rolls or tortillas and toppings.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.