Smoked Salmon Monte Cristos
Monte Cristo-style sandwiches made with smoked salmon, Brie cheese, dill-flavored cream cheese and arugula leaves on potato-dill bread.
8 slices potato-dill bread
1/2 cup dill-flavored cream cheese
12 slices (6 ounces) smoked salmon
12 slices (12 ounces) Wisconsin Brie cheese
2 cups arugula leaves
1 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and ground black pepper, as needed
- Lay bread slices out on a clean, flat surface and spread a thin layer of dill cream cheese onto each slice.
- Divide salmon slices evenly over top of cream cheese on 4 slices of bread.
- Top with Wisconsin Brie slices and arugula.
- Place other side of sandwich onto top of arugula and press firmly.
- Mix milk, egg and salt and pepper. Dip sandwiches into egg wash.
- Place coated sandwiches into a greased, preheated nonstick skillet and cook both sides of sandwiches until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet, place on sheet pans and place in a 350°F (175°C) oven 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through.
- Cut each sandwich into 3 equal pieces for 12 servings.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.