Smoky Sauced Bratwurst Sandwich
An open-faced sandwich made with toasted Russian rye bread topped with split and broiled bratwurst sausages, broiled tomato slices and a creamy pimento cheese sauce.
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion slices
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Provolone Cheese
1/4 cup pimento, chopped
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
6 slices Russian rye bread, toasted
6 fully-cooked Wisconsin bratwurst sausages
12 tomato slices
- In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; sauté onion 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return to medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and pimento until cheese is melted. If necessary, return to low heat to finish melting cheese. (Do not boil.)
- Combine 1/4 cup butter and oregano; spread on toasted bread.
- Split sausages lengthwise; broil until browned, turning as needed. At same time broil tomato slices until heated through.
- To assemble sandwiches: On serving plate place 2 tomato slices on each slice of bread; top with 1 sausage. Pour approximately 1/4 cup sauce over top of each sandwich. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 serving.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.