Spiced Apple Grilled Havarti Sandwiches
Serve this autumn-inspired sandwich with hot mulled wine or apple cider, or chilled sparkling cider—with or without the alcohol.
3 tablespoons butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
4 to 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon apple brandy (optional)
8 thick slices day-old bread
8 thin slices Havarti cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the apples 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom. Toss to coat the apple slices with the sugar and spices. Remove the pan from the heat. Set aside.
- Lay four slices of the bread on a griddle. Top with one slice of Havarti, one-fourth of the spiced apples, and another slice of Havarti. Place the remaining slices of bread on top of all. Butter the sandwich tops. Turn over. Butter again.
- Place the griddle over medium heat.
- Brown the sandwiches on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden and the Havarti is soft.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Canned apple-cinnamon pie filling may be used.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.