Super Spicy Italian Sandwich with Provolone
This spicy-hot, flavorful Italian sandwich features a hot pepper-mayonnaise, provolone cheese, hot Italian coppa—also called "capicola", a dry-cured red pepper-seasoned Italian sausage—and hot pickled giardiniera served on toasted rustic garlic bread.
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon or more to taste hot red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
8 ounces deli hot Italian coppa*
8 slices rustic roasted garlic bread, toasted
8 slices Wisconsin Provolone or Aged Provolone Cheese
1/2 cut hot pickled giardiniera
- Mix the mayonnaise, hot red pepper sauce and lemon juice; set aside.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the coppa evenly among 4 bread slices. Place 2 slices of Provolone over coppa.
- Broil until cheese bubbles and melts. Remove from broiler.
- Spread the giardiniera, then the arugula leaves, dividing evenly, over the cheese.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over remaining 4 bread slices and top the sandwich.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
*You may substitute a spicy salami.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.