Serve these creamy, colorful strawberry sandwiches as a simple dessert or snack. Or, trim the crusts and cut each sandwich into triangles for a lovely addition to an afternoon tea party. They are easy to make and sure to impress everyone.
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (7.6-ounce) can NESTLÉ Media Crema
1/3 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk (sold in a squeezable bottle)
16 slices whole wheat bread
8 large strawberries, chopped
4 large strawberries, cut in half
- Combine water and cornstarch in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat media crema and sweetened condensed milk in small saucepan over medium heat until heated through and well combined. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until well thickened. Remove from heat. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- Cut bread in large heart shapes almost the size of the bread using a cookie cutter or knife. Cover to keep from drying out.
- Stir chopped strawberries into cooled mixture. Spread 8 bread hearts with strawberry filling (about 1/4 cup each). Top with remaining heart slices. Top each sandwich with a strawberry half.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 8 sandwiches.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.