Lean ground beef is made into small patties for sliders and then served with a trio of different toppings.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron.
1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
9 whole wheat small hamburger or slider buns, split - divided use
1/4 cup minced onion
1 large egg white
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely diced ripe mango or jarred ripe mango (drained)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or canned crushed pineapple (drained)
1/4 cup finely chopped tomato
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Spicy Caramelized Onions:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
2 to 3 medium red or green jalapeño peppers or 6 baby sweet red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce:
1/2 cup reduced-fat or nonfat plain or Greek yogurt
1/4 cup reduced-fat or regular crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
- Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
- Combine Ground Beef, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, onion, egg white, garlic, salt and pepper in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F (71.1°C), turning occasionally. About 1 1/2 minutes before burgers are done, place rolls, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Serve burgers in buns with topping variations, as desired. Close sandwiches.
- For Mango-Pineapple Salsa: Combine mango, pineapple, tomato, jalapeño pepper, mint, lime juice and salt in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 1 cup
- For Spicy Caramelized Onions: Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onions and jalapeño peppers or sweet red bell peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cumin. Cook 15 to 18 minutes or until onions are very tender and golden brown, stirring frequently. Season with salt, as desired. Makes 1 1/2 cups
- For Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce: Combine yogurt, feta cheese, onion and oregano in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup.
Makes 8 sliders.
Tip: To broil burgers, preheat broiler. Place burgers on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat element. Broil 9 to 10 minutes to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning the burgers once. Place buns, cut sides up, on broiler pan so surface is 2 to 3 inches from heat element. Broil 45 to 60 seconds or until lightly toasted.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe) using 96% lean ground beef with spicy caramelized onions: 240 calories; 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 32 mg cholesterol; 376 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate; 4.6 g fiber; 16 g protein; 6.8 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.6 mg iron; 34.3 mcg selenium; 3.8 mg zinc; 52.6 mg choline.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe) using 96% lean ground beef with creamy yogurt-feta sauce: 226 calories; 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 34 mg cholesterol; 444 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 3.8 g fiber; 18 g protein; 6.7 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.4 mg iron; 34.6 mcg selenium; 3.9 mg zinc; 52.1 mg choline.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe) using 96% lean ground beef with mango-pineapple salsa: 218 calories; 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 32 mg cholesterol; 448 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 16 g protein; 6.8 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.6 mg iron; 34.2 mcg selenium; 3.8 mg zinc; 51.4 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.