Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich with
Jack and Smoked Gouda
This terrific variation on the classic grilled cheese sandwich features raisin bread spread with tangy honey mustard and filled with applewood smoked bacon, thin slices of Granny Smith apple and two types of cheese, Jack and Gouda. Recipe by Chef Kenneth Oringer.
8 slices raisin bread
4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1/4 cup honey mustard
8 bread-sized slices Wisconsin Jack cheese
8 slices applewood-smoked bacon, fried crisp
1 large Granny Smith Apple, cored, quartered and each cut in six slices (24 slices in all)
4 bread-sized slices Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese
- Spread each slice of the bread on one side with soft butter. Turn over and generously spread with 1 tablespoon honey mustard.
- Place a slice of Wisconsin Jack (mustard side up) on each bread slice.
- Top half the slices (mustard /Jack side up) with 2 slices of bacon. Shingle 6 apple slices over the bacon.
- Top remaining 4 slices (mustard/Jack side up) with a slice of Smoked Gouda.
- Assemble the sandwiches, pressing together and leaving buttered side of bread exposed.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat.
- Grill the sandwiches in batches, cooking until golden brown on one side, then flipping the sandwich over and browning. Repeat process with all sandwiches.
- Place serving plates. Cut sandwich in half or quarters on bias. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.