Waffle-wiches are a savory twist on a basic waffle, featuring an easy cheese sauce, ham and bacon. These creative sandwiches are perfect for breakfast or brunch and are sure to be a hit with the whole family.
12 slices turkey bacon, cooked - divided use
6 slices thinly-sliced deli ham (about 4 ounces) - divided use
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk - divided use
1 (8-ounce) package (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
3 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose baking mix (such as Bisquick®) - divided use
3/4 cup water
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- Combine 3/4 cup evaporated milk, 1 1/2 cups cheese and 1 teaspoon baking mix in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted and sauce has slightly thickened to a creamy consistency. Remove from heat; cover.
- Whisk together remaining evaporated milk, water, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, egg and mustard in medium bowl. Stir remaining 3 cups baking mix into milk mixture until well blended.
- Preheat Belgian waffle maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Pour about 1 1/4 cups batter onto waffle maker. (This amount is enough for a square or round waffle maker.) Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Repeat with remaining batter. Keep cooked waffles warm in oven.
- To Assemble: Spread 2 tablespoons cheese sauce evenly over one side of 6 waffle squares. Place 2 slices of bacon and 1 slice of ham on cheese sauce on each. Top with second waffle to make waffle-wiches.
Makes 6 servings.
- Waffles can also be cooked in a standard waffle maker (makes about 18 standard-sized waffles).
- Waffles can be made ahead and frozen.
Bisquick® is a registered trademark of General Mills, Inc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 580; Calories from Fat: 290; Total Fat: 32 g; Saturated Fat: 16 g; Cholesterol: 120 mg; Sodium: 1720 mg; Carbohydrates: 44 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g; Sugars: 7 g; Protein: 26 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.