Wisconsin Mooburger® (Stuffed Burger)
The flavorful Mooburger®, with your choice of cheese tucked meltingly in the center, is grilled to perfection and topped with the familiar fixings.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 large egg
6 slices tomato
6 lettuce leaves
3/4 cup shredded Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese*
6 hamburger buns, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, and eggs; mix well, but lightly.
- Divide mixture into 12 balls; flatten each on waxed paper to 4 inches across.
- Place 1 tablespoon cheese on each of 6 patties. Top with remaining patties, carefully pressing edges to seal.
- Grill patties 4 inches from hot coals, turning only once, for 6 to 9 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. To keep cheese between patties as it melts, do not flatten burgers with spatula while grilling.
- Place burgers on buns and top with tomato and lettuce.
Makes 6 servings.
*Or crumbled Wisconsin Blue Cheese, crumbled Wisconsin Basil & Tomato Feta Cheese or other shredded Wisconsin cheese.
Caution: Cheese filling may be very hot if eaten immediately after cooking.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.