Holiday Fruit Compote
Fresh fruit is given a fancy flavor. Serve in small dessert dishes after a holiday meal. Or, serve over ice cream or pound cake.
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups water
4 pears, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
4 green apples, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
4 navel oranges, peeled, sectioned
2 cups (1 pint) fresh raspberries
1/4 cup raspberry liqueur
1/2 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
- In large skillet, combine sugar and water; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add pears and apples; return to boiling. Lower heat; simmer three minutes, just until fruit is tender.
- Pour mixture gently into large strainer set over large measuring cup. Reserve 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid, discarding any remainder.
- Place fruit in large, serving bowl; add oranges and gently mix.
- In small bowl, mash one cup of the raspberries. Press puree through fine sieve into reserved cooking liquid (discard seeds).
- Add liqueur and pepper; pour over fruit. Cover and chill overnight.
- Just before serving, add remaining fresh raspberries and mix gently.
Makes 16 servings.