Molé (pronounced 'mo-lay'), an intoxicating blend of chocolate, chiles, garlic, onions, nuts and more, is the undisputed national sauce of Mexico. Traditionally served over chicken, it also goes well with other meats.
3 dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired
3 dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired
3 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
2 small toasted corn tortillas, crushed
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons raisins
1 1/2 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Tablets, crushed
1/2 cup NESTLÉ ABUELITA Granulated Chocolate Drink Mix
- Place chiles in medium bowl; cover with 2 cups hot water. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Toast pepitas and sesame seeds in large saucepan; remove from pan.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add oregano, anise seeds and ground cloves; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Place chiles and 1 cup soaking water, onion mixture, tomatoes and juice, tortillas, pepitas and sesame seeds, peanut butter, raisins and bouillon in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add pureed mixture and Abuelita; cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes or until puree is thickened. Strain through a medium sieve for a smoother consistency. Serve over chicken, shrimp, enchiladas or tacos. Molé sauce may be refrigerated or frozen for later use.
Makes 4 cups.
Reheating Directions: Heat molé sauce in large saucepan over medium heat, adding enough stock (about 1 to 2 cups) to dilute sauce to desired consistency. Season to taste.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.