Alaska Cod Saag Curry
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sliced shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 to 1 tablespoon curry powder
1 (14-ounce) can regular or lite coconut milk
1 to 2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
4 Alaska Cod fillets (4 ounces each) fresh, thawed or frozen
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 to 10 ounces baby spinach leaves
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large (12-inch) nonstick pan or stockpot, heat olive oil, shallots, garlic, ginger and curry over medium heat. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes until shallots are soft.
- Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, cilantro, garam masala and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer; cook 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Cod fillets under cold water.
- Turn off heat to skillet and gently add seafood to liquid, skin side down. Return heat to a simmer.
- Once simmering, cover pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes for frozen seafood or 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Turn off heat and let seafood rest 5 minutes or until seafood is opaque throughout. Remove fillets; cover and keep warm.
- Turn heat to high; reduce liquid by half, cooking about 5 minutes Add cream and spinach, cover and cook until wilted.
- To Serve: Portion 1/4 of spinach onto plate or shallow bowl, top with a seafood portion and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 323; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 62mg; Total Carbs: 16g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 798mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.