Alaska Halibut Tacos with Cucumber Salsa
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
1 cup diced English/seedless cucumber
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 cup grape or pear tomatoes, halved (optional)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh fennel (optional)
1 tablespoon white balsamic (or rice) vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 Alaska Halibut fillets (4 to 6 ounces each), fresh, thawed or frozen
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
4 (8 to 9-inch) tortillas or flatbreads
1 cup (3 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- In a small bowl, combine cucumbers, green onion, tomatoes and fennel.
- In separate small bowl, blend vinegar, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Pour over cucumbers; set aside.
- Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Halibut under cold water; pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of halibut with remaining oil. Place fillets in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.
- Turn fillets over and season with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes for frozen halibut or 3 to 4 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout. Remove from heat and break into large chunks.
- To Serve: Divide halibut among tortillas. Sprinkle on goat cheese and top with cucumber salsa.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 498; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 145mg; Total Carbs: 27g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 46g; Sodium: 507mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.