Alaska Halibut with Orange Béarnaise Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.
3/4 cup milk
1 package (about 1-ounce) Béarnaise sauce mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried grated orange peel
4 Alaska Halibut steaks or fillets (4 to 6 ounces each), fresh, thawed or frozen
1 tablespoon olive oil, canola, peanut or grapeseed oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 pound fresh or frozen asparagus spears, trimmed
- Whisk together milk and Béarnaise mix in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in butter until melted. Blend in orange juice, lemon juice and orange peel; stir and cook until thickened. Cover and keep warm.
- Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Halibut under cold water; pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of halibut with oil. Place halibut in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.
- Turn fillets over and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 6 to 8 minutes for frozen halibut or 3 to 4 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.
- While fillets are cooking, cook asparagus spears in small amount of water over medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Drain and keep warm.
- To Serve: Place 1/4 of the asparagus on plate. Top with a halibut portion and drizzle with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 375; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 13g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 429mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.