Alaska Sockeye Salmon with Molasses Marmalade Glaze
Recipe includes both grilling and oven roasting methods.
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 pounds Alaska Sockeye Salmon
Heavy-duty aluminum foil
Non-stick cooking spray
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 medium orange
- Remove Alaska Sockeye salmon from refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat grill to 375°F (190°C).
- Stir marmalade, molasses, paprika and cider vinegar together in a small bowl until well combined.
- Cut 2 pieces of wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil about 6-inch longer than the salmon side. Stack the foil pieces (shiny side down) on a baking sheet and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, in the middle of the foil. Fold the foil sides and ends up (1 to 2-inch) to make a shallow pan around the salmon, leaving at least a 1-inch margin around the fish. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Carefully transfer the foil pan to the center of the preheated grill. Do not cover the salmon with foil or close the foil over the salmon. Close grill cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Spread the glaze on the salmon (1tablespoon per salmon portion or 1/3 cup per salmon side). Close grill and continue to cook about 5 to 7 minutes more. Cook just until fish is lightly translucent in the center--it will finish cooking from retained heat. Remove from the grill and let rest a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with orange zest and serve with orange wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Oven Method: Roast in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C), cooking 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly translucent in the center. Be sure to let the salmon rest a few minutes before serving.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.