Baked Codfish Casserole
This baked cod, with its showy 'scales' of tomato and zucchini, would be a great addition to your repertoire of fish recipes — it's healthful, flavorful and simple to make.
3 pounds cod fillets
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon crushed dried basil
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
6 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
3 zucchini, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly oil a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Arrange cod in dish with the thicker parts to the outside. Place onion, basil and garlic over cod.
- Top with tomato slices arranged alternately with zucchini slices. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with fork.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and additional basil on top before serving.
Makes 6 servings.