Barbecued Fish Kabobs
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
4 herring or mackerel fillets
3 red onions, quartered
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
10 ounces fish or chicken broth
5 ounces tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 drops Tabasco (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 tablespoon corn flour (cornstarch) (finely ground corn meal may be substituted)
Sprig of thyme for garnish
- Preheat the grill or barbecue.
- Cut each mackerel or herring into 4 pieces, crosswise.
- Thread onto skewers alternating with the onion and tomatoes, season. Place on a lightly greased grill pan.
- To Make the Sauce: Mix all the ingredients, except the cornflour, together in a small pan.
- Grill or barbecue the kebabs for about 10 minutes basting with the sauce and turning the skewers.
- Blend the cornflour (cornstarch) with a little water to make a smooth paste. Pour into the sauce with any juices from the
- kabobs. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Garnish and serve on a bed of brown or white rice accompanied by the sauce and a crisp green salad, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.