Blackened Spiced Fish
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
1 (8 to 10-ounce) whole red mullet, snapper, or bream, cleaned
1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Lemon or lime wedges, for garnish
1 teaspoon chili or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Pinch of dried mixed herbs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the spice mixture and set aside.
- To clarify the butter: melt the butter in a small pan then remove the froth with a spoon. Leave to settle then pour off the yellow liquid, discarding the solids.
- Brush each side of the fish with the clarified butter and coat with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot. Add any remaining clarified butter. Add the fish and cook on each side for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon or lime juice and serve immediately with crusty French bread, lime or lemon wedges and a green salad.
Makes 2 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.