Blue Crab Cake Benedict
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
3 large eggs, yolks separated
1/4 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Sea salt to taste
Blue Crab Cakes:
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 pound crabmeat, drained, shell pieces removed
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) - divided use
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large eggs, pan fried
1 large tomato, sliced
- For Blue Crab Cakes: Combine first seven ingredients in a medium bowl. Gently fold in crabmeat and 3/4 cup panko crumbs. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Shape the crab mixture into 8 patties about 3/4-inch thick. In a shallow dish, roll patties in remaining 3/4 cup panko crumbs, coating evenly.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat oil and cook 4 crab cakes at a time for 7 minutes until golden brown on each side.
- For Hollandaise: In a blender or food processor, add mustard, lemon juice, egg yolks and a few dashes of hot pepper sauce. Blend ingredients and slowly add the melted butter until the ingredients thicken. Taste Hollandaise and adjust seasoning with salt and hot pepper sauce.
- To Assemble: Place one or two slices of tomato on each plate. Season the tomato lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place a pan fried egg over each tomato slice. Add a crab cake to the top of each pan fried egg. Evenly distribute the Hollandaise sauce over the top of each crab cake and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.