Cod Baked with Green Bell Pepper & Tomatoes
Fish fillets are baked in a tomato sauce flavored with onions and garlic. This dish is topped with a layer of fresh green peppers for flavor, color and crunch.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced white onion
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/4 pounds cod fillets, rinsed and patted dry
1 green bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and onion for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue to cook for 12 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and a chunky sauce develops.
- Trim cod fillets by taking off any skin and removing any bones with tweezers or pliers, if necessary.
- Coat the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish with vegetable cooking spray and arrange fillets in a single layer. Spoon tomato mixture over fish and top with bell pepper.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes or, until fish is opaque all the way through and flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.