Cornmeal-Crusted Fish and Zucchini Chips
Get the crisp deliciousness of classic fish and chips without the heaviness and fat from frying. Here, white fish is breaded in cornmeal, misted with canola oil and baked at a high temperature so its crisp. The breaded zucchini slices are a fun way to get vegetables into this comfort food meal. Its all served with a fresh lemony tartar sauce using a healthy base of canola oil mayonnaise.
Recipe by Dawn Jackson Blatner, a registered dietitian and nutrition specialist.
Fish and Chips:
1 cup 1% buttermilk
1 large egg, whisked
2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 (3-ounce) fillets white fish, such as tilapia, snapper or grouper
2 medium zucchini, sliced on bias, about 1/2-inch thick (24 total slices)
Canola oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup reduced-fat canola oil mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In shallow bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. In another shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal, parsley, paprika and pepper.
- Dip fish and zucchini into buttermilk mixture and then coat with cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Mist breaded fish and zucchini with canola oil cooking spray and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- While fish and zucchini are baking, prepare tartar sauce. In small bowl, combine tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish and zucchini chips. Garnish dish with sprinkle of chopped, fresh parsley.
Makes 4 servings. Serving size: 3 ounces fish, 6 zucchini chips and 1 tablespoon tartar sauce.
Source: "Comfort Your Heart Recipe Collection" by Dawn Jackson Blatner, R.D., C.S.S.D., L.D.N.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe; 3 ounces fish, 6 zucchini chips and 1 tablespoon tartar sauce): Calories 470; Total Fat 8g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 250mg; Potassium 473mg; Carbohydrates 69g; Fiber 3g; Sugars 3g; Protein 25g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.