Creamy Grits with
Lobster, Roasted Tomatoes and Wild Mushroom Stew
Low country pan stew of oyster and chanterelle mushrooms, tomato confit and lobster essence over white corn grits. Recipe by Gary Danko, chef at Gary Danko's in San Francisco, California.
2 pounds Maine lobster, meat
4-ounces bacon, cut batonnet
1-ounce olive oil
1 pound oyster mushrooms, cleaned and halved
1 pound Chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and cut in wedges
4 tablespoons shallots, finely diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 cups white wine
6 cups lobster stock
1 to 2 teaspoons cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon water mixed with 1 tablespoon starch)
16 oven-dried tomatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
To taste salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
1 1/2 cups grits
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
To taste salt, ground black pepper and hot sauce
As needed lemon wedges
- For Stew: In a very large stockpot, over high heat, bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the lobsters to the boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove the lobsters and drain them. Remove the claws and pull the meat from the shell, cut through the head and tail lengthwise, and pull out the tail meat in two whole pieces. Slice into 1/2-inch thick medallions. Keep the claws separate.
- Heat the bacon in a large saucepot. Cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- Add the oil and the mushrooms and turn up the heat. Sauté until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add the shallots, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat for about 1 minute. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by 3/4. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry, let reduce until slightly thickened to light sauce consistency.
- Add the lobster meat, tomatoes and parsley. Bring to a simmer and adjust the seasoning.
- For Grits: Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, green onions, and chopped thyme. Sauté until onions wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add grits and stir 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and cream. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and grits are thick and tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Hold warm.
- To Serve: Place the grits in the center of the soup plate. Make an indentation in the center. Pour the stew in the center and garnish with a claw and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
- Serve with lemon on the side.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Maine Lobster Promotion Council.