Fish Bread and Butter Pudding
A light and nutritious, but substantial mid-week dinner that's easy to prepare.
1/2 pound white fish fillet, skinned
1/2 pound smoke fish fillet
1/4 pound raw prawns
1/2 cup button mushrooms (optional)
6 slices of bread, lightly buttered
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups semi-skimmed milk*
3 1/2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut the fish into bite-size pieces. Mix together with the prawns and place evenly in a greased shallow oven-proof dish.
- Cut the pieces of bread diagonally and place overlapping on top of the fish, buttered side up.
- Beat together the eggs, add milk and pour over the bread and butter and fish.
- Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and press down to ensure the bread soaks up the egg and milk mixture, let sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
Makes 2 servings.
*Also called low-fat milk, generally 1.7 to 2% fat.
- There is a big variety of fish that can be used, such as coley, pollock and haddock.
- If using frozen fish, thaw first.
- Prawns are not essential, if not using, add more fish.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 494; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 13g; Total Carbs: 25g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 7g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.