Fish Cakes with Cheese Filling
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
2 (6-ounce) cod or coley fillets, skinned and finely cubed
3/4 pound potatoes, cooked and mashed
4 spring (green) onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
All-purpose flour, for dusting
4 ounces garlic and herb soft cheese or cheddar cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons sunflower or canola oil
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the grill.
- In a large bowl, mix the fish, potatoes, spring onions and parsley together.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions. Dust hands well with flour and shape the portions into rounds and then flatten into a "burger" shape.
- Place a spoonful of cheese in the middle of 6 of the burgers, top with another burger, shape and mold both burgers to form one burger.
- Coat the fish burgers in the egg and bread crumb mixture.
- Cook under a moderate heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, basting lightly with the oil.
- Garnish and serve with pita bread, a crunchy salad and a spoonful of relish, if desired.
Makes 6 (2-cake) servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.